Sunday, April 19, 2015

Meeting Matteo Do: Richard Juan (Hwan)


Richard from the Star

So I was just browsing the net one day and I just came to see an article from GMA about a remake for My Love from The Star with a photo of Marian Rivera beside a guy who looks extremely like Kim Soo Hyun from South Korea. Of course, I fell in love with Steffi Choi and Matteo Do when I watched that KDrama and immediately got curious as to who might be the cast to play the remake. After checking out the article, they just proposed pegs and the one they felt like portraying Matteo Do is Foreignoy finalist Richard Hwan from Hong Kong. Thats where it basically started. 

I checked out Richard "Juan"'s social media accounts and found out that there's already a hype for him even before Foreignoy and his fanbase is continuously growing. He's very good-looking, a Chinito - which is actually the weakness of most audiences here in Phil. After digging deeper into his accounts, I found out that his fans are very close to PH Matteo Do. Having easy access for fans doesnt only mean that he makes time for them but also it encourages and draw new fans into his already-growing fandom. 

After everything I've seen, I decided that I need to meet him.


Hwanderers

Im not sure if this is coincidence but one of Richard's fansclub admins is also a JaDine fan. When I asked where and when I can meet him (because I also have this friend - lets hide her with the name of Denlene - who's so eager to see Richard), Melissa informed me about this event in SM North Edsa. With it being a weekend - and weekend is fangirling day - me and my friend decided to check it out with, of course, some coordination with his very helpful fansclub. 


DC WORLD

Guess what? I was late. LMAO
My friends Denlene and Alannis (both members of WAW) were already there in the venue. When I got there, I immediately saw the small crowd swarming around the SM Youths. Richard was among them. First impression? Gwapo talaga sya. He's the type of guy that you'll immediately notice in a crowd. He's wearing this Green Lantern sort of costume and was standing out with his 5"11 height. While I was looking for my friends, I just watched as girls automatically rove around him and his fellow SM Youth Tommy Esguerra. 

Suddenly though, they started leaving and we just followed them to the Department Store from the Activity Area. Thats where I met Melissa, one of his admins. She's very approachable, friendly and we somehow spazzed about JaDine in between all that Richard-talk. Not for long, she finally introduced us to him. 

Richard Juan

As a fangirl, I'm not the hysterical type. I would usually like to observe an artist from a distance first before I get to meet him. I would somehow base my reading of his personality by how he interacts with fans and all the people who would ask him selfies. Richard was very kind and approachable. People were automatically drawn to him. There were a lot of girls, even boys, who took photos with him and he would talk to them as much as he could. 

When Melissa introduced us, she immedtiately told Richard that we wanted to take photos with him. I instantly pushed Denlene as bait since she's also the one who's head over heels for the guy. I took their picture and I urged Alannis next. When both of them were done, I passed my phone and approached him for the first time. First thing I told him was "Hi Im Biankee."

I watched his reaction as recognition dawned on his face. He greeted "Hi, nice to meet you." and we then posed for the camera. Im not that sure how our conversation went but I also told him how big of a fan Denlene is to him. He seemed delighted to know that and even gave Den a high-fave. He also gave me one. 

Richard was very game with all the selfies we took and sometimes (well, most of the time) he would hold the phone himself. I know how tiring it is for an artist to smile and accommodate a lot of people for pictures but he didnt show how exhausted he might have been. There were fans here and there but he took time and still tried to talk to everyone. 


I was also glad to notice how close he really is to his Hwanderers. I am an admin myself for King's fansclub and I know how important it is for an artist to interact with his closest fans. A good fanbase can keep an artist afloat in this industry. The larger the demand, the greater the opportunities. So I was happy to see how close Richard is to the people who will help him on this field he's currently taking. 



Well, aside from Richard, I also met Tommy Esguerra and he is also a charmer. Girls swooned over him with his cheerful smile and friendly aura. Apart from that, he has this kind of appeal that actually drew girls to him. I must admit that sexy mane must be a factor too. 


DJ MOD's talented kids were also there on location playing the dopest jam that made the afternoon even cooler. I was amazed how these kids got their dad's talent on making music. They looked really comfortable and used to their craft that I couldnt believe these youngsters can be as good as any other international DJ. I guess hard work can definitely beat society's judgmental age restriction. 



The event on SM North Edsa was definitely a blast because of the SM
Youth Ambassadors. It was a total success and they even made it possible for fans to meet their artist and hang out with them even for just a short period of time. I am always amazed how these young people can actually do great things and share happiness with ways of their own. They're not just famous, heck they are always humble about it, they are famous but still such grounded people. I appreciate artist who are very loving to fans. Behind all that support and dedication, an artist's recognition is enough for a loyal fan as reward.

Juan-derful

What do I think of Richard?

One, he is very kind and two, he knows how to handle fan interaction. It is a must for an artist to know how to take care of their fans, how to keep them happy, satisfied and interested. As for Richard, I can see a lot of potential in him. To be honest, current hype about him is because of Kim Soo Hyun but I am confident that at the right time, if he will really pursue this career, he will be able to a name for himself and veer away from the shadow of KSH. I strongly believe that if he will decide to continue this, there will be a lot of work for him. Filipinos are crazy for Chinito guys, and I dont think that this kind of trend will fade any time soon. Richard is already very attractive so all he has to do is maintain the personality. 

I wish he would stay the same, nice and friendly like the first time I met him, grow with his chosen career and take care of the people who had always been there for him from the start. Its very fun to meet the Matteo Do of PH, no scratch that, the Richard Juan of PH. He's not just an eye-candy but someone with a lot of potential. I dunno where or when I am going to be able to see him again but I hope it could be very soon. 

-QB

Richard Juan Fun Facts
Richard Ching Juan (English Name) or Fan Hong Zhi (Chinese name) (born August 2, 1992), also known as Richard Hwan, is a Hong Kong-Chinese TV personality and model based in the Philippines.
Richard Hwan gained popularity through Eat Bulaga!‍ '​s "You're My Foreignoy" and won the Dabarkad's Choice Award. He is now a segment host of "Pinoy Henyo" in Eat Bulaga!.
Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik