Sunday, May 3, 2015

Bili Moko Coffee: A Cup Of Reality


THANK YOU WATTPAD AND PSICOM

Bili Moko Coffee is my first ever completed story in Wattpad. I discovered Wattpad later than necessary and I was amazed of how much power this simple website/application can give to amateur writers and authors. For years now, Wattpad had been giving off great chances for writers to get their works published. PSICOM had been one of the greatest publishing companies that ventures out and publish Wattpad works, making dreams come true.

And my dream is one of them.

THE DREAM

It started back in March of 2014 when I saw the trailer of up-coming movie Diary ng Panget. As a long time James Reid fan, I immediately got hooked into his newly-transformed image along with this adorable and funny new face, Nadine Lustre. Curious what DNP is, I decided to read the book.

I knew about Wattpad before DNP but I didn't know how popular it is here in PH. I was surprised that Taglish stories are definite hits for all ages alike. I was amazed with Diary ng Panget and how Denny made me squirm like a little girl because of Cross and Eya. That's what inspired me to write again.

I started writing stories or novelette back in high school and my usual reader would be my best friend, Abbie. I would write these stories on a notebook and once they're done, Abbie would borrow and read it. We'll talk about the characters and the story and it was nice at least having one reader who appreciates your imagination.

But I stopped writing when life happened.

When I was just a kid, watching all Harry Potter movies and reading all the books, all I ever wanted to be when I grow up is to be an author. But real life doesn't permit that. You either become a teacher, a nurse or any normal self when you grow up. So the dream to be an author was put aside. I gave up on it, as well as writing, when life got too much and you need to earn more money than day-dream.

Then PSICOM happened.

BILI MOKO COFFEE

BMC started as a JaDine fanfic, but during those times - loveteam wars for James was still very hyped that I didn't want my story to get bashed. My inspiration for Alice Madrid is Nadine, but changed it to Baifern (Thailand actress) so the haters wouldn't have anything against her. Plus, the character seems to be quite inapplicable to Nadine's Eya image compared to the mature one she has now. Of course, the guy protagonist is in James' image. The story revolves around a famous celebrity guy and this early-married girl with a twist in her life.

I actually wanted to make a different story.

Most of the stories right now on Wattpad are all about mafia, Casanova, gangsters (though I have nothing against these plots) that I think readers would notice a story out of the norm. So I created the BMC's initial "unusual" plot.

Why BILI MOKO COFFEE? You must have noticed how weird the title is. Well, at first it got nothing to do with the plot. I was done with the first chapter and I usually create a title when I'm done with the entire story but Wattpad wouldn't let you publish without a title. So I was on my computer and turned to my friends behind me.

I was like "Anong magandang title?" out of the blue.

My friends turned to me then one of them said "Bili moko coffee." They were talking about coffee when I asked them and he just went straight with it.

Madali akong kausap. I shrugged and typed in the title. That's basically how BMC started.

PSICOM

It had been a year now since BMC and somehow it already reached a number of people far from my expectation. I am immensely blessed that there are people who took time to read my simple story even though there are already tons of others on Wattpad. The readers would comment on my social media accounts how much they loved James and Allie and the story itself. Nakakataba ng puso, sobra. BMC is like my baby and for people to love them as much as I do - super surreal. They would also add that they wish I could get BMC published too... I never planned, I told them - but I never stopped hoping.

And then one time, a friend told me that PSICOM was looking for new stories to publish.

She gave me the details on how to submit the story and I just went with it. I edited the Wattpad version, put it in WORD format and sent it via email. That's it.

I prayed for that little story to get noticed but, again, I didn't raise my hopes up.

Time went by and I forgot about that submission. It was until one time, PSICOM replied that they received my manuscript. It was just an acknowledgment but still I was thrilled to know they gave it, at least, a chance. I thanked them and went on with my normal life.

Months passed and once more, I forgot about BMC and PSICOM. A lot has happened in my life the past months and it totally took the story off my mind.

Then one day, while I was working alone in the office, I received a text message.

Good afternoon, Biankee. This is the editor in chief of PSICOM. We're interested to publish your story, Bili Mo Ko Coffee. Are you available this week for a meeting?
I didn't read it twice - it immediately sank into my mind.

And then I cried.

I was crying so hard as I dialed Olibs' number. It took her awhile to pick up and I was sobbing and crying while talking to her. I was so happy and shocked. She tried to calm me down  but congratulated me. Even when I  ended the call, I cried for hours. I worked as I cried because of pure happiness. 

This was my dream long forgotten.

No one knows how much I wanted this. Since I was a kid, I always wanted to be an author. And PSICOM fulfilled it. I met with them within the week and finally, it's all happening. I couldn't give out the rest of the details but my book is currently on its process into getting published. I am so excited no word can properly describe it.

I would just like to thank Miss Khuey and PSICOM for giving me this chance and for fulfilling my long-time dream. I will never forget about this for the rest of my life. I am eternally grateful.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on the actually hard copy of BMC.

I know I'll cry again.

-QB



5 comments:

  1. You're not lucky Ate Biankee, you're blessed! I'm so proud of you! I love you! Alam mo yan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Te Kee! I just want you to congratz you. Congratulations ate Kee! You did it! Napakalaking biyaya ang binigay sayo ate Kee! Sana hwag mong sayangin, if you need help, nandito lang kaming mga fans mo. But seriously ate kee, habang binabasa ko ang message mo sa taas, naiiyak ako. Why? Kasi pangarap ko rin na maging isang galak na author kagaya mo. Minsan nga, naiingit na ako sayo eeh. Hehe, pero sadyang mas magaling ka lang talaga ate Kee! Pero, hindi rin naman ako nawawalan ng pag-asa. I know na magiging isang sikat na author rin ako balang araw. Hihi. Love ya ate Kee! Sana ipagpatuloy mo pa yan! Promise, pag napublish na yang story mo into a book. Bibili talaga ako, Magpipicture rin ako sa sarili ko while nagbabasa sa story mo. Haha, Promise ko yan ate Kee! Im proud of you! I hope to see you soon. Mwaaahh!! :*
    PS. May number ako sayo ate Kee, sana naman at magreply ka, I just want to congratulate you privately. Hihi~ Alab you!
    Sana mabasa mo to ate kee!

    Sincerely yours, BebeMieryl (Myrille Abayon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M! Thank you for this message. Praying you'll receive the same favor and blessing like what I did. Thank you and God bless!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Biankee! :) If it wasn't for my best friend, I wouldn't be able to read your stories. By the way, what's your plan on Kismet? ( super fan of that story and still rooting for Anya and Jeric! haha) More power and Congratulations again! Will buy your book once it's published!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik